Cheffy User Guide
What can I do with Cheffy?
Searching for recipes...
Finding a recipe has never been easier...
Don't know what to cook? Get recipes for food you have at home.
Use Search by Ingredient to enter the ingredients you have and find recipes.
Need a recipe to meet certain criteria -- eg main ingredient, a cuisine you fancy, dietary requirement, time available...? Use Power Search.
Recipe Title Search
Searching for a particular recipe? Just go to Recipe Title Search and enter key words -- for example: lasagne, or chocolate cake. You'll find recipes with those words in the title.
Stuck for ideas on what to cook? Inspire Me is the place to visit.
Fancy something different for dinner? Or need ideas for entertaining? Click on Inspire Me -- and browse through specially selected recipe collections. And keep your favourite recipes in your personal Cookbook.
Click on Top Rated to find recipes recommended by other Cheffy users - sorted by meal type, cuisine and occasion. Don't forget to rate recipes you try!
The most Popular recipes, appearing in the most user Cookbooks - so a good place to get suggestions for your own Cookbook.
Choose a meal type, cuisine or occasion and get a Pot Luck recipe. It'll be different each time you try it. Go on, try something different!
Printed cookbooks can be an inspiration and great to browse, but they have limitations. On average, only two recipes from each cookbook are ever cooked. Finding a recipe to meet particular requirements can be very time consuming. And you have to do complicated calculations if you want to scale the recipe and make a shopping list. Bring on Cheffy!
Finding a recipe
Searching for recipes that meet specific criteria is easy with Power Search. So if, for example, you're cooking for someone on a calorie-controlled diet, with a food intolerance, don't have much time to cook, then simply use Power Search to get a list of suitable recipes. Then Sort the list of recipes, perhaps by Lowest Calories, or Shortest Cooking Time... to find just the right recipe.
Display the recipe to just show the information you need:
- Scale to the number of servings.
- View ingredients in metric or imperial.
- Show oven settings as Celsius (°C), Fahrenheit (°F) or Gas Mark.
So you just see information that's relevant to you.
Giving you more information on a recipe
A recipe is flagged if it's:
- Low Fat
- In your Cookbook
For each recipe, we give you:
- Calories, Fat and Carbohydrate counts
- Detailed nutrition. For each recipe, just click on Nutrition to find out whether:
- it's a good source of vitamins and minerals.
- it meets dietary requirements: such as gluten-free or dairy-free.
- Note: Occasionally nutritional calculations do not include an unusual ingredient -- any ingredients not included in nutritional calculations are listed on the Nutrition page.
Save time looking for recipes that need to meet various criteria
Printed cookbooks cater for a variety of needs -- 30 minute dinners, vegetarian, low-fat -- but just imagine being able to develop your own recipe collection based on whatever criteria is relevant to you. If, for example, you often find yourself looking for quick, healthy dinners with no red meat - select the relevant criteria in Power Search. Then, when you have the list of recipes, just click on save my search. You can name your Search whatever you please. Your Search is saved in My Kitchen - and your recipe collection gets updated whenever another recipe is added to Cheffy that meets your Search criteria.
Finding a recipe
If you know what you'd like to cook, try the Search by Recipe Title, to find a recipe.
If you don't, go to Inspire Me and browse through the specially selected recipe collections.
Alternatively, take a look through Top Rated or Popular to find recipes by cuisine or meal type that are favourites with Cheffy users. Why not create your own Entertaining Cookbook for your tried-and- tested successes, or recipes that inspire you to entertain!
Automatic shopping list
No complicated calculations to scale a recipe and work out what you need to buy? With Cheffy it's so simple!
When you've found a recipe you'd like to cook, and selected how many servings, just click on Add to my List. The right quantity of ingredients are automatically calculated and added to your shopping list. If the same ingredient is used in more than one recipe on your list, the amounts are added together - so you have a list you can view by recipe or by ingredient!
When you're finished, view your List and print out the list or request to receive it by email.
The ultimate cookbook
No more searching through dozens of cookbooks, magazine cuttings and card indexes to find a recipe... With My Cookbook, you can:
- Keep all your favourite recipes in one place.
- Search through all your recipes by ingredient, meal type, diet, cuisine, etc.
- Share recipes with family and friends.
- Create and name your personal collection of cookbooks.
- Add notes to recipes.
Add your own recipes to Cheffy
When you add your own recipes to Cheffy, you can get so much more out of them!
- No hunting through recipe books, magazine cuttings, card indexesÉ Keep them all in one place with My Cookbook.
- Get calorie, fat and carbohydrate counts.
- And detailed nutrition too - you could be surprised to find hidden nutritional benefits...
- Find out which recipes are suited to special diets, such as gluten- free, dairy-free...
- Search through your recipe collection easily and quickly by ingredient, calories, special diet, cuisine, etc.
- Instant scaling.
- Measurement conversion.
- Instant shopping list with My List.
- Share your recipes with family and friends.
Join the Cheffy community
With Cheffy, you can become part of a community of Cheffy cooks from all over the world. Sharing ideas, recipes, advice...
Click on Comments, when viewing a recipe to:
- See Recipe Rating: find out how much other users like a recipe.
- See Comments: find out any advice or suggestions that other Cheffy cooks have for cooking or serving the recipe.
- Add your own rating or comment to help other Cheffy cooks. Share your favourite recipes with other Cheffy users with Add a Recipe. The more your recipes are liked, the greater your Cheffy reputation!
Check your latest Cheffy reputation in My Kitchen. This shows the average rating you've received for the recipes you've entered.
My Kitchen - express yourself...
This is your private space in Cheffy. This is where you...
- Keep your collection of Cookbooks
- Keep your favourite Searches
- See all the recipes you've added -- and find out your recipe rating. Want to improve your rating? Add some recipes that you know work really well that you think other Cheffy cooks will love too.
- Check your shopping list.
- Set your preferences. Choose whether to display recipes in: Celsius (°C), Fahrenheit (°F) or Gas Mark; metric or imperial -- and enter or amend your email address.
- Personalise your space even more with a photo and personal profile
We have even more services planned so bookmark our blog for the latest on Cheffy.